Choripan y chimichurri

Hola amigos,

Today was another non-eventful day- I was feeling pretty exhausted.  I'm not sure if it's my anemia or still the altitude getting to me (or both), but I just felt sore and tired all day! I think all of the rest helped, though, since I'm feeling a bit better now.  This morning I walked for a half hour and then did another half hour of Pilates, which felt really great.

The most important meal of the day in Ecuador is lunch, and Chino's mom always makes incredible dishes.  Today was definitely no different.  We had pollo al jugo...basically really juicy baked chicken.  I'm not usually a chicken fan, but it was really delicious and I ate both pieces of what I was served (they really overfeed me here!).  Every meal is served with plain white rice, and usually a salad of lettuce, tomato, and radishes.  Some days we also get soup, which is oftentimes my favorite part of the meal! And not because the main dish isn't good....the soups are amazing here.

I have to say, Chino's mom has really spoiled me with lunches since I've arrived- the first day I arrived we had lomo fino (sirloin steak), and the next day we had grilled salmon! Amazing.  

Breakfast and dinner are much more relaxed, sometimes no dinner at all.  For example, the other day I had some chocolate bread (like a roll with chocolate inside...oh my God) and hot chocolate around 8pm for "dinner," which is pretty typical.  Other days, though, we'll have leftovers from lunch or "tortillitas" which are basically omelets (shaped like a tortilla, hence the name).  I hate tortillita days, though! I'm not an egg fan here...

The only eventful part of today was dinner! Chino and I went to Choris in Cumbaya.  Chino got a Sanduche de lomo (steak sandwich), and I got the plain Choripan (literally sausage-bread).   Choris is an Argentinian Choripan place that originally just served Choripanes y cervezas, but now serves hamburgers, steak sandwiches, bife de chorizo (sirloin strip steak), and steak fries.   

Part of what makes a choripan so good is the chimichurri sauce (see pic below, the green one).  It's a salsa made of parsley and garlic that originated in Argentina as well.  So. Good.  I'm not sure what the other two salsas are...probably just two different types of ají (hot sauce, made from the ají pepper). 

Here are some pics!



All of the condiments...Ketchup, Mayonnaise, and Mustard in back, and the Chimichurri in the dish on the right.  I pretty much drowned my meat in the Chimichurri sauce :)   
### 

So, like I mentioned in my last post, tomorrow morning I'll be going on a double decker bus tour through Quito- so get ready for some awesome pictures!

Oh! P.S.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but they sell every movie you can pretty much think of here (bootleg, of course), for SO CHEAP! They're about $2/each or 3 for $5.  They tried to charge me more, as usual, but Chino saved the day, haha.  We watched The Help last night- it was incredible; I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet!

I miss you all!
Hasta luego,
xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts